Primary Camera – Nikon D7200
I purchased my Nikon D7200 in February of 2019 as prices were dropping. The D7500 was already out but I wasn’t willing to spend the additional $400 or so as I didn’t need the additional features. This camera is still somewhat overkill for my skill level, but I don’t refresh my tech very often and I wanted a camera that would keep me happy for at least the next 5 years. I used my D3000 for about 10 years prior to this upgrade.
Secondary Camera – Nikon D3000
I purchased my D3000 sometime in 2009 I believe. This camera included the 18-55mm kit lens but I used the 24-85 f/2.8-4D as my primary lens, though the D3000 annoyingly lacked the AF motor. I found this camera to be simple to use and I tended to keep it in the landscape preset on the dial. I intended to sell it after my D7200 purchase but looking at the current value I decided it would be better to just keep it for around the house needs.
- Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM – This is pretty much my go-to lens as I like to focus on landscape and nature photography. I bought this shortly after I picked up my D7200 so I’ve only just started using it.
- Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8-4D AF – I’ve had this lens more than 10 years now. My dad gave it to me when he upgraded his own camera gear and I’ve used it for years with my D3000. I keep it in my kit but I’ve got other lenses I use more often now.
- Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G – I bought this right around the same time as my D7200 as the price seemed cheap enough. I tend to use this lens when I’m taking photos of my car while out on trips.
- Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.8G – I received this lens as a gift shortly before I purchased my D7200. Review sites seemed to indicate this lens was a must have so I was happy to add it to my kit.
- Nikon AF-S DX 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR II – At the time of this writing, I’ve owned this lens for 2 days. I found this lens for a pretty decent price and the physical size is small enough to fit in my bag so picked it up in case I need this level of zoom.
- Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR – I include this in the list as I do own it, but I keep it attached to my D3000 and don’t bring it with me when I go places. I use this and the D3000 for quick shots around my house.
I’m not a professional nor do I do photography for anything beyond a hobby so I’m not running any overly expensive lenses. I’ve essentially used up all the available space in my camera bag so I don’t expect to add any more lenses to my collection. At some point in the future I would like to try the Tokina 11-16mm but for now I’ve spent enough money.
Primary Camera – Canon XH-A1
As I only do video projects as a hobby, I’m running a fairly old but still useful Canon XH-A1 camera. I bought this camera on the used market somewhere around 2014-2015 for a decent price to replace my previous Canon XL2. The camera is used primarily for my YouTube videos. I don’t find this to be overly convenient to haul around so it mostly stays at home.
Secondary Camera – GoPro Hero 4 Black
I bought this new mainly on a whim thinking I would get a lot of usage out of it. Turns out I rarely use it and could have saved a bunch of money just buying a used one later on. I have some project ideas I plan on using it for, and the size of this camera makes it convenient to bring it with me on photography trips.