Nikon D7200 – I purchased my Nikon D7200 in February of 2019 as prices were dropping. The D7500 was already out but I wasn’t willing to spend the additional $400 or so as I didn’t need the additional features. This camera is still somewhat overkill for my skill level, but I don’t refresh my tech very often and I wanted a camera that would keep me happy for at least the next 5 years. I used my D3000 for about 10 years prior to this upgrade.
Nikon D3000 – I purchased my D3000 sometime in 2009 I believe. This camera included the 18-55mm kit lens but I used the 24-85 f/2.8-4D as my primary lens, though the D3000 annoyingly lacked the AF motor. I found this camera to be simple to use and I tended to keep it in the landscape preset on the dial. I intended to sell it after my D7200 purchase but looking at the current value I decided it would be better to just keep it for around the house needs.
Panasonic GH5 – As I was doing a video gear refresh for 2020 I decided to look into a DSLR sized camera capable of 4k. My original plan was to upgrade my home studio camera, but I would still have trouble backpacking with something that size for any outdoor projects. The small size of the GH5 along with the great image stabilization seemed like the best bet for capturing high quality video while out on the road. My primary lens will be the 12-35mm f/2.8 Lumix G II but I’ll also be doing some work with a Helios 44-2, my Nikon lenses via speed booster and also some old anamorphic projector lenses.
Canon XH-A1 – I bought this camera on the used market somewhere around 2014-2015 for a decent price to replace my previous Canon XL2. Now sits in a bag as it was replaced with the Panasonic GH5.
GoPro Hero 8 Black – I picked this up toward the end of 2020 to use with some upcoming projects which would require a small camera with some amount of stabilization and could be used without having to manually focus. This mostly replaces my existing GoPro but I’ll keep that one for anything riskier such as exterior mounted car videos.
GoPro Hero 4 Black – I bought this new mainly on a whim thinking I would get a lot of usage out of it. Turns out I rarely use it and could have saved a bunch of money just buying a used one later on. I have some project ideas I plan on using it for, and the size of this camera makes it convenient to bring it with me on photography trips.
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K – Purchased in 2022 and will be used for almost all of my business related video projects. Large rig to carry around so I will still use the GH5 for certain trips.
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera – I bought this used on eBay in 2022 with the intention of using it for certain creative film looks, mainly for my own YouTube projects or stuff like that. I also have the Metabones speedbooster for adapting my Nikon lenses.
DJI Mini 2 – I picked this up with the intention of getting various types of scenic nature video to sell online. I’m also finding it useful for doing photography from the air. The compact size means I can pack it with me whenever I go on road trips.
- Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM – This is my primary landscape lens for photography.
- Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8-4D AF – I generally use this lens most for macro, but is also handy for when I don’t need to go super wide with the Sigma.
- Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G – I usually have this in my bag whenever I take my camera out. I think I tend to use this most for nature photos and when I need a faster lens.
- Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.8G – Doesn’t get as much use as the 35mm but seems to work nicely for portraits.
- Nikon AF-S DX 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR II – Bought on eBay for what I considered to be a reasonable price. I’ve used this to get closer photos of mountains and results seem good.
- Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR – Kit lens with my D3000. Stays attached to that camera which is rarely used now.
- Nikon 105mm f/2.5 – Picked up for a decent price on eBay.
- Sirui 24mm f/2.8 Anamorphic 1.33x – MFT mount for use primarily with my BMPCC4K.
- Sirui 75mm f/1.8 Anamorphic 1.33x – MFT mount for use primarily with my BMPCC4K.
- Industar 50-2 50mm f/3.5 – Vintage Soviet lens for use with my MFT cameras.
- Vega-7-1 20mm f/2 – Vintage Soviet lens for use with my MFT cameras.
- Vega-73 20mm f/2 – Vintage Soviet lens for use with my MFT cameras.
- Canon FD 24mm f/2.8 – Vintage lens for use with my MFT cameras.
- Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 SSC – Vintage lens for use with my MFT cameras.
- Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 – Vintage Soviet lens adapted to Nikon for photography.
- Bushnell Automatic 28mm f/2.8 – Bought for no reason other than it was cheap. Vintage lens for use with my MFT cameras.
- SLR Magic 8mm f/4 – Bought for doing wide landscape video on my MFT cameras.
- SLR Magic 10mm T2.1 Hyperprime – Bought for doing wide landscape video on my MFT cameras.
- Panasonic Lumix G 25mm f/1.7 – Picked up for cheap on eBay for doing video on the GH5.
- Kowa Anamorphic 16-S – Projector lens for 2x anamorphic projects.
- Sankor Anamorphic 16C – Projector lens for 2x anamorphic projects.